Monday 13 January 2014

QUESTIONAIRE

1. As you know, we will be looking at Art and Culture throughout the semester.  What sort of background experience do you have with the art of the United States?
A little, when I was in elementary school I had to take a course on American Art but honestly, I don´t remember much.
2. Name any historical novels or authors from the United States that you have read in the past?
 I haven't read much historical novels, recently I read Mark Twain's The Misterious Stranger, but that's about it.
3. What is the difference between Ragtime music and Jazz?
 I have no idea.
4. List 5 influential American Poets:
 I don't know if influential but I like Robert Frost, E.E. Cummings, Laurence Dumbar, Edward Hirsch and Mark Irwin

5. List 5 influential American Painters:
 I don't know.
6.  How do you think the United States has influenced, or been influenced by, Mexican painting and music?
 I think that the fact that they are too close to each other makes a difference. Its nearly impossible not to be influenced with Mexicans living in the States and Hollywood movies been screened here, but I really don't know how.
7.  What is modern dance?
 No idea.
8.  What kind of ‘performing arts’ have you been exposed to here in Mexico?
 I used to practice regonal dance when I was younger, also I enjoy going to the theater. Mexican theater is different, there is something about it that I love. Walking downtown, you can come across multiple prehispanic dancers. 
9. List 5 influential and important American Historical figures:
 Abraham Lincoln, Sakajawea, John F. Kennedy, Marthin Luther King Jr., Coronel Custer.
10. How do you think the Indigenous Cultures of the United States differ from those in Mexico? 
 Mexicans have tried to keep their indigenous culture alive, Americans denied their indigenous people, so Mexican indigenous culture flourished easier than American, hence there is more Mexican indigenous culture at sight that American.
11. Why do you think skyscrapers became prominent in the United States?
 I don't know.
12. What is digital Art?  Give an example:
 I'm not sure, but I think that digital art could be the animations done nowadays. For example the Disney's animated movies.
13. How has photography thought of as an art form in the 19th century?
I don't know.

14. Which presidents of the United States do you remember for being important figures in American History?
 Lincoln, Kennedy, Roosevelt, Jackson, Washington, Nixon, Johnson, Carter, Jefferson.
15. Why do you think monumental sculpture is important to a nation’s identity?
 I'm not sure, I guess it creates a sense of national belonging. I don't know.
16. What would be an example of an important piece of American theatre?
 Wicked, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying...
17. Why do you think the visual Art of the American West is so different from any Eastern United States Art or Painting?
I have no idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment